Monday, March 28, 2011

Missing you, Ken...

Dan's parents flew in Saturday morning, March 12th. Dan and Corey picked them up at the airport, while I took Ashlyn to a birthday party. Claire and I met them for lunch at Rock Bottom (which, now I'm writing this, seems pretty fitting!) Here's the amazing part... We hugged, we laughed and enjoyed being together. This is not unusual, but considering that Dan's brother had just passed away the day before, it was a welcome surprise.

Dan's parents are amazing. They have been through more than anyone deserves and have not lost their hope or faith. It breaks my heart that they're going through the loss of another son.


After lunch, we had planned to drive up to Loveland and meet with Sky, but it didn't work for her until Sunday, so we went home. I am SO grateful for our church! We had a visit from our Bishop that night, several calls and a plate of cookies from our sweet Relief Society president and we had friends from church bring dinner for 3 nights. I am pleased to say that Dan's parents felt the same type of love and concern from church friends, neighbors and coworkers when they returned to Arizona a few days later. It makes a world of difference to feel the love and prayers of those around you.



Sunday, we went to church and experienced a little miracle. Linda had mentioned the day before that she loves the song "Be Still My Soul" and that song had comforted her. Sacrament meeting was wonderful, and the closing song was... "Be Still My Soul!" We left church and drove directly to the funeral home to meet with Sky. Allen described it as another miracle when all 4 kids sat still and quiet while we made arrangements with the funeral director. Sky brought her sweet daughter Aurora...

Monday, we had a private family viewing at the funeral home. Here's the thing about viewings... I really think they help. My mind was having trouble processing the fact that Ken was gone and that we never got to say goodbye. Seeing a body seems to help us process that our loved one's spirit is no longer here. We are blessed to know a little about where Ken's spirit is now and we have faith in the promise that we'll see him again after this life.

Viewings are also very difficult. It broke my heart to see Dan just break down and cry over his older brother. I feel like I can usually cheer him up and make things better, but all I can do in this situation is cry with him and love him. I am so sad too! Ken was such a huge part of our lives for the past 2 years and I miss him terribly.

After the viewing, we went to dinner at Rock Bottom again, but this time in Loveland. Christa and Bruce came with us and it was really good to get to spend some time together.
It's amazing to have the love of my sweet kids. They just seem to brighten the mood!
My in-laws went home the next morning. I am grateful for how peaceful we all felt, despite the circumstance. It was so good to have Allen & Linda here and for all Dan's family here to be together. We are all still concerned about Sky. I adore Sky and feel like she and her girls are a part of this family, no matter what.

That Saturday, we attended a small casual celebration in honor of Ken at Sky's. We took some of our favorite pictures of Ken...
Christa sent me this quote that I feel perfectly explains how I'm feeling...
"What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch, we may not understand why he left this earth so soon, or why he left before you were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, you will begin to remember not just that he passed, but that he lived. And that his life gave you memories too beautiful to forget." 
Missing you, Ken...

4 comments:

Caroline Ray said...

So sorry Alli. I cannot believe how your Cory resembles Ken. Miss you and sorry that you are going through this trial. Give my condolences to Dan.

Alli grins said...

LOL... Ken is adopted, so that is pretty amazing:) Ken and Corey were good buddies. We are all really missing him! Thanks for your kind words, Caroline:)

Natalie said...

You are in our prayers daily. We are so sorry for your loss. Love you

The Curtis Family said...

Love you Alli.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...