Friday, June 13, 2008

"Treasure the doing..."

It's been since Christmas since I've hosted an Elggren family get-together, so it's our turn for Father's Day on Sunday. Looking around my house, I'm wondering how long it's going to take me to get it up to my standards again before Sunday! I admit, I've been spending a lot more time just playing with my kids since they've been home for the summer. Yesterday we spent the afternoon in the pool and playing Battleship, Sorry & Pretty Pretty Princess together. I usually clean when they are in school and Claire's napping, though having them do daily chores helps a little.


However, I think of myself as an upbeat, positive person, and here's what I see:
*My laundry hamper is full of wet swimsuits and towels because we went swimming yesterday and the kids had swim lessons last night (but I'm glad we have a pool so we can get outside occasionally in this oppressively HOT weather)
*Corey made his bed himself, so the bedspread isn't straight and his sheets aren't pulled all the way to the top (but it's really hard to make a bunk bed when you're only 5 and he always does it without a reminder)
*Fingerprints on my sliding glass door (due the the kids and their friends going in and out of the house all week, which I love)
*Claire's toys all over the family room (hard to believe she's getting around enough to make a mess now, but I love it)
*Crayons, paper scraps and scissors in my office (Ashlyn makes crafts for me when she gets up before me. Love the crafts, if not the mess:-)
I'm reminded of M. Russell Ballard's talk "Daughters of God" from the April, 2008 General Conference. He quotes author Anna Quindlen:
So, even though there is laundry to be done, toys to pick up and fingerprints that need to be washed away, I will get it done...eventually.

2 comments:

Nikki Frisby said...

I always loved the poem that goes something like:
Cleaning and scrubbing
Can wait til tomorrow
Cause children grow up
We've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs
Dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep.
I'm a working mom with only 3 hours a weekday with my children. I'm sure the Lord is not going to ask me if you could eat off of my kitchen floor. (NO you can't!) I know he'll ask me how well I took care of the precious souls he sent me. YOU are a great mom. Your priorities are straight. Enjoy your summer it will go way too fast. :)

its2gs said...

Alli--enjoy those moments--they go by way too fast. You are doing it right!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...