Sunday, August 14, 2011

Summer highlights: 2011

We've been playing so hard this summer, I've fallen really behind on my blog. It's a good thing that we're "living life instead of blogging about it," but I've been trying to catch up when I have a few minutes here and there. Our first week of summer, I realized that I was going to need to plan activities to keep my kids busy, or else they'd just play computer games or watch TV all day. If you have kids, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about! Thankfully, there is no storage of fun things to do around here, so here are a few of our highlights:

1. Denver Zoo: We went with our preschool group and my friend Linda on Corey's last day of school. Ashlyn was already done, so I just had my girls with me. We have season passes to the Zoo and go often.
2. Playing with friends! That's what summer's all about. No schedules, so homework, and plenty of time to PLAY! On an afternoon in July, Ashlyn and her friends ran through the sprinklers on the golf course behind our house...
3. Bike rides: This is usually a weekend or evening activity for us. We have such amazing bike trails around us and it's one of our favorite family activities...
4. Swimming! Between our great neighborhood pool and our gym, we've spent a lot of time at the pool this summer. Claire's also taking swimming lessons from a guy in our ward. Corey & Ashlyn are such fish, but Claire has been a little apprehensive about swimming without a floaty. She's making progress, though...
5. Crazy weather! We had afternoon rainstorms almost every day in June and July (and we even had an inch of hail in mid-July!), so we had to get out and play outside in the mornings before the heavens opened up and dumped on us! In the picture below, you can see the "lake" and snow left by a particularly heavy storm, but I love the rainbows after!
6. Tennis lessons: Ashlyn and her best friend took 2 weeks of tennis lessons in July. Believe it or not, they DID actually play tennis with their rackets, but they do make great guitars...
7. Horsemanship lesson
I bought a gift certificate from mamapedia a few months ago for Ashlyn and Corey to take a horsemanship lesson from Mountain Rose Horsemanship Training and in July, we had the opportunity to use it. All of my kids love horses, but haven't been around them much. Dan grew up with horses, but never cared for them much after a horse stepped on him when he was about 8 years old. This lesson was a perfect opportunity to learn about caring for horses and how to interact with them. They began by checking the hooves for any rocks, brushing and saddling the horses. The kids learned that it's important to develop a relationship with a horse before just jumping on for a ride. The instructor was fabulous! I was amazed to see Corey communicating so well, both verbally and non-verbally with his horse. I wanted to sign them up for more, but the instructor is in the process of moving out of state, so that's it for now... 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...