May 25th was Ashlyn's Continuation ceremony at her Elementary School. I was one of 4 parents on the committee and unfortunately, it was such a frustrating experience! I usually enjoy volunteering, but this was such a downer for me. It had been raining all week, so we were nervous about afternoon rain during the Ceremony. When we showed up to decorate and prepare early that afternoon, we discovered that the Kindergarten Graduation (the following morning) had been set up in the gym, which was our "Plan B," in case it rained. The teacher who was in charge of the Kindergarten Graduation wouldn't budge, and it was frustrating that it didn't feel like a team effort to make both events successful! We had cupcakes, decorations and quotes from the kids about the future inside the cafeteria (but almost NO ONE came inside since we were forced to be outside). Besides setting up, my jobs were the invitations and the certificates, which I was so pleased with.
Thankfully, the weather was beautiful, too warm almost, so we held the Ceremony outside on the playground. We had a picnic first, then the Principal spoke and several students read short essays. This was my major disappointment of the night... We couldn't use the microphone system outside, so everyone had to speak through a blow horn. It was so tough to hear anything outside and most everyone eventually tuned out because they couldn't hear those that were speaking.
Meh... Anyway, it was fun to see Ashlyn hug her amazing teacher and to get her certificate. Ashlyn seemed to enjoy the night and most of my frustrations didn't even register with her.
Ashlyn was so happy that night and the next morning, she wanted to go look for a backpack for Middle School! I did NOT expect that for her first day of summer! I'm so glad she's excited:) I can't believe my baby is going to Middle School!!!










0 comments:
Post a Comment