Friday, January 16, 2009

Malted Milk Cookies

When I was little, I always remember my Mom having freshly-baked cookies in our kitchen. My friends knew they could drop by for "Nancy cookies" anytime. My brother C.J.'s friends begged Mom to send them her cookies on their missions. My cute Mom always jokes that she should've been born with blue fur and googly eyes! Well, in keeping with that tradition, Dan and Ashlyn have started baking cookies every Sunday afternoon. We taste-test the cookie dough (...you know you do too:-) and give them away often so we don't eat them all. Here are some of our favorite new recipes as of late... 


*Malted Milk Cookies*
Ingredients:
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 cup butter
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. instant malted milk powder
1 1/2 cups malted milk balls (Whoppers), cut in half


Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt unsweetened chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat for 30 seconds more, or until chocolate is melted. Set aside.

Cream together butter, sugars and baking soda. Beat in the melted chocolate, eggs and vanilla.   Scrape the sides of the bowl to mix completely. Add the malted milk powder and flour gradually, beating slowly. Stir in the malted milk balls.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until edges are slightly firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to cooling rack and let cool.


Number Of Servings: About 3 dozen cookies
Preparation Time: 15 minutes/ 30 minutes to bake
*Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens "Best Book of Cookies"

1 comments:

The Smiths said...

I love making cookies, especially in the winter! I can't wait to try your recipes--I'm in need of some new ones.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...