Sunday, November 21, 2010

Is this homework or busywork???


I am really grateful for my kids' school! I don't know how we got so lucky, but Ashlyn and Corey's teachers both seem perfect for them. I was a kid that mostly loved school. I still get a little jolt of excitement when I walk into a school. I love the books, the hand-drawn pictures that line the walls and the ABC charts, but I never wanted to be a teacher. Now, I have a lot of friends that complain when their kids bring home a "project." These may seem like busywork that the parents end up doing for their children. It's so obvious when a parent has done all the work, right? 

Corey had a family project last week to decorate a turkey so he could hide from hungry people who want to eat him for Thanksgiving dinner. Corey, Ashlyn and I all sat down to work on it together. Ashlyn was almost giddy with anticipation. Corey drew a dragon and wanted to make a ninja turkey, so we had a good time disguising his turkey together!

Ashlyn's big time machine project presentation was last week as well. This involved a 3-D time machine that she could actually change her clothes in! I helped her tape some big moving boxes together and held the craft paper while she taped it to the box, but the rest was entirely her work. She chose to do her project on Cleopatra VII, which worked well since she already had the Halloween costume. 

With only 2 days left until Thanksgiving break, I assume my kids are done with projects for a while, but when they bring home another one, I will smile and hold the roll of tape while they do the work:-)

2 comments:

The Curtis Family said...

Some of the best memories I have of my mom are of the two of us staying up late to finish one of my school projects. Great one-one-one time to talk and feel supported by her. You're an awesome mom Ali. Love you and miss you tons.

Adrienne said...

Well that is because you are a good mom. For the rest of us it's a big hassle :) j/k.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...