So this summer I read a fun book called "Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichl. In her book, the NY Times food critic takes a friend who hasn't tried sushi out for dinner in an attempt to persuade her to like it. When I was reading it in Lake Powell, I told Dan that maybe I'd have to give sushi another try, but only if he wouldn't make me eat fish eyes or something really "out there."
Last weekend, I made good on that promise. Dan ADORES sushi. Me? Not so much, but for the sake of argument, it's been a while since I've tried it. Dan took me to Sushi Ave. We shared edamame and a combination plate, with 2 rolls and sashimi. I was pleasantly surprised by the salmon, but almost gagged on the tuna. Still not a big fan of wasabi or seaweed, but I think Dan was moved by my effort to re-try his favorite food!






3 comments:
LOL - I am SO with you sister! For some strange reason, I just prefer my seafood, I dunno, COOKED! Hahahaha! If your DH ever needs a sushi buddy, have him call my DH because I won't eat it either! BTW - one of our favorite digs is Ah So (Gilbert/Baseline). It was new when we lived here the first time around, and it's still there. I can find something I like on the menu, and Jared gets sushi. Makes everyone happy. ;)
I tried sushi for the first time on our cruise in May, and I must say, I wasn't a big fan. Luckily Todd is the most non-daring food eater on the planet so it doesn't hurt anyone that I don't like it. In fact, I'm sure Todd probably appreciates the fact that I won't be dragging him to any sushi restaurants any time soon...or ever!
I'm with you Alli, fish is gaggy! I hope Nate doesn't read this and think I should put forth some effort to re-try his favorite food. I tried it on our honeymoon, almost 18 years ago!
Post a Comment