Wednesday, May 25, 2011

April 29th: Reflections on the Royal Wedding

 Yes, I admit it... I love fairy tales, princesses in beautiful dresses, handsome and chivalrous princes and happy endings. I have probably seen way too many Disney movies and true love is just in my blood, but I was SO excited to watch the wedding of William and Catherine in England on April 29th, 2011. I wanted to see Kate's dress, to watch the crowds outside Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace waving their Union Jacks, and to see the happy couple kiss on the balcony. I was cheering for them and I wanted to see the fairytale, from the comfort of my living room:)

In addition to my fascination of the royals, Dan & I do both have a fondness for England. Dan served a mission in London and I studied abroad at Cambridge. We went back to visit the UK 12 years ago and I'd love to go again someday. Dan, in fact, just laughs at my interest in this wedding. He thinks the Monarchy is a bunch of malarchy:) Well, the royal wedding did not disappoint me. Both the bride and groom looked amazing and happy and seem to genuinely love each other. 
I've been to Westminster Abbey 3 times, but I've never seen it look so incredible. The trees indoors make it look less huge and cold. Really beautiful...
Now, this picture (below) couldn't have been staged more perfectly if they'd tried! How adorable is the little flower girl covering her ears to block out the noise of the crowd? 
So, if you think that England and America must be very similar because we both speak {somewhat} the same language, take a peek at some of the hats worn by the wedding guests. We have the Kentucky Derby, but wearing a hat there is still very tongue-in-cheek. NO, these women take their hats seriously...
Speaking of hats, it seems the winners for the most hat buzz are Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. I helped with a baby shower the week after the wedding and some of the ladies were passing around a Facebook picture comparing Will and Kate to The Prince and Cinderella and the Princesses B & E to the stepsisters. Of course, it's been photoshopped to match the colors of their clothing and hair, but... ouch!
England's Telegraph online took it even further when they posted this {Photoshopped} picture with the lead, "The hat the rocked and shocked the world." This is the picture of the Situation Room at the White House during the capture of Osama Bin Laden. You may never be able to look at President Obama the same again...
At the end of this week, the hat was auctioned off on eBay for more than $130,000, with proceeds going to charity. Props to Beatrice for using that 15 minutes of fame for good!
So, the prince and his princess rode off into the sunset in a 1969 Aston Martin that's powered by wine, no less (the car, not the newlyweds). I loved watching their fairytale wedding, but I'm happy with my real one... 15 years next month!  
I snapped this picture in the grocery store with my cell phone. Guess I'm not the only one who loves a good wedding...

*Pictures from People.com

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...