For months, Dan has been trying to convince me that we needed a new bird. I told him that I didn't want a pet that "we couldn't flush if it died." Seriously. When our sweet bird Marley died a year and a half ago, I was done. I didn't want to face the loss of another pet and I didn't want to clean up after it or to arrange for someone to watch it when we're out of town. But somehow, we ended up at Petsmart on Monday night with the family. They didn't have anything that was a possibility, so I was somewhat relieved. Then on Tuesday, Dan took me to lunch and then to a store that bred and sold birds. Claire was with us and was so excited to see so many birds!
Dan fell in love with a bigger parrot named "Nikita" that wanted nothing at all to do with Claire or me. Claire and I had a soft spot for a gorgeous and sweet turquoise Quaker parrot named "Harry Potter." I couldn't imagine having a bird that the owner told us "only likes men," so we went home without a bird yet again. After school that day, I took the kids back to get their opinion. Corey and Ashlyn loved "Harry" too, so I gave in and we brought him home!
On the drive home, we were discussing another name for "Harry Potter" and Ashlyn suggested the name "Blaze." We all liked it, so now we are calling the bird "Blaze." He's very sweet and likes to be held. He supposedly says "Hello" and "What doing," but as of now, we haven't heard him speak yet. It remains to be seen if I will regret this decision, but I admit, I am already very fond of Blaze...












0 comments:
Post a Comment