Everyone reading this likely had chicken pox as a child, but these days, you just don't hear about chicken pox anymore. My older 2 kids had been vaccinated, so when we received a note from their schools that chicken pox was going around, I didn't really worry. It was only after we went to Salt Lake after Christmas that Corey showed up with them one morning. I knew immediately what it was, but thought he'd just have a light case. Poor boy had to stay away from his cousins while we were in Utah, but he was such a good sport!
The day after we returned home, Ashlyn woke up with them! Claire got them 3 days later! I took Claire to the Pediatrician for her 6 month check up and the Dr. told me I had them too! I had them in about 1st grade, so this time I only had about 5 chicken pox and a fever.
Here's what we've learned through this experience:
1- Chicken pox is most contagious BEFORE you get any spots, so it's very hard to contain.
2- You'll show up with them about 7-21 days after exposure. (SO SORRY if your kids get them after being around us!!!!!)
3- You get a few, and just when you think you're done, you're covered! When the blisters all scab over, you're no longer contagious.
4- You get scared looks when going out in public after having the pox. No one wants to be near you or looks at you like you have the plague, even though you tell them you're not contagious!
5- There is a BOOSTER SHOT now for Varicella. If you don't get the booster, you'll likely get chicken pox if exposed.
6- It's great to be feeling better;-) Life is good!






1 comments:
Alli,
I am so sorry! The only case I'd heard about was my sister's baby this last summer, but that's nothing compared to ALL OF YOU. How on earth did Dan miss this one? Did your doctor say that kids need more than one vaccination? I've heard rumblings about that, but no substantial advice. Well, at least you're all immune from now on, right?...
Post a Comment