Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New Blood Glucose Monitor!

Last week I finally started a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) with my insulin pump. I've been researching this technology for almost 2 years and was relieved when my insurance finally approved it. I wore another brand of CGM in February, 2009 for a trial week and have wanted one ever since. I've used an insulin pump for over 11 years and I currently wear a Medtronic Paradigm pump. I've had some major complaints about this pump and Medtronic, but I do like that their CGM is integrated into their pump so I don't have a separate device to carry around in my pocket. 

So, what is a CGM anyway? It's got a disposable sensor that I replace every 6 days that connects to a little transmitter. Both the pump sensor and the glucose sensor have a metal needle. After they are inserted, the metal needle pulls out and just the thin casing stays in my skin. They are both comfortable and don't bother me much. However, I did get a little creeped out inserting the glucose sensor, since it has a very long and somewhat thicker needle. I was surprised at my reaction after 22 years of shots and needles! It takes 2 hours when first inserted, but then begins to take readings every minute, then sends an average every 5 minutes to my pump. I have to calibrate it by pricking my finger and checking my blood sugar with a meter every 12 hours. I had been testing 7-9 times a day before, so this is a nice change! My fingers will thank me:-)

The CGM measures sugar in interstitial fluid (the skin above the blood vessels) so the readings can be a bit different than blood sugars. The cool thing is that I can see trends as my blood sugar is going up or down. I can see a graph on my pump over 24 hours. It beeps when my sugar is too high or too low (for the limits I choose) and is ahead of my blood sugars, meaning that it will beep BEFORE I'm too low or too high so I can treat it before I'm feeling miserable. 

I've just worn it for 12 days, but I don't ever want to be without it now! I've been extremely frustrated with my diabetes lately. I want to scream when I do everything "right" and my sugars don't cooperate. I hope that this new technology will help me see what's going on in between finger sticks...

3 comments:

Becky said...

All I can say is I have all the admiration in the world for what you put up with in treating your diabetes. It wasn't until I had to take Heparin shots with pregnancies that I started thinking how people with diabetes must cope and deal with shots. I am greatful that I only have to give myself shots 2x a day. I think it's amazing how well you manage your diabetes!

Deanna E. said...

That is incredible Alli! And you are amazing! I admire you and love you! Thanks for your blog! I love reading about you and your family and seeing your beautiful pictures! I send you my love and prayers!

Natalie said...

I hope when they put me on a pump I can get this one too :) It sound fabulous!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...