Monday, December 7, 2009

It all comes out in the wash!

I would've been a bad pioneer. I need a washer and dryer! We learned the hard way last month how true this is. 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, Dan & I were watching a movie and finishing up some laundry on a Saturday night. Dan walked into the kitchen to get us some drinks and stepped into about an inch of water on the wood floor! The hose to our washing machine had broken and water was spilling out onto the floor! We used every towel we have and got the water up right away and left 2 portable fans running all night to help dry the floors. We thought we'd avoided any complications until the next afternoon when the kids ran up from the basement to tell us that "the carpet in Daddy's office is wet." UGH! The water must've leaked down the floor vent and filled up the light fixture and spilled onto the carpet downstairs. NOT GOOD! We called a water restoration company to come the next morning and help.

Here's where it got complicated. The carpet wasn't really that wet, but they found black mold behind the baseboards in Dan's office that was from previous moisture. You couldn't see or smell mold, but it was there. Because we are renting, we wanted to take care of the damage from our washing machine, but didn't want to pay for anything we didn't cause. Long story short...the drywall, baseboards and carpet pad needed replacing and we finally have our basement back after a few weeks of repair. My dryer broke the same week, so my Mom and I spent some time at the Laundromat when she was visiting. The good news is that we got a sweet new washer and dryer out of this whole mess! They are Samsung high-efficiency with steam. I've never had front loaders before and I couldn't be happier (unless they came in RED). Oh well, you win some, you lose some. I am just happy to be able to do laundry again:-)

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ahh! You should have brought your laundry over here! Glad you got some new ones though. I hear ya on the colored ones....mine are boring white too.

Becky said...

I had to smile when I read your post. Not that it was funny, but that you had a flood and mold issues. That is what my husband does for a living. He has a home restoration company that does exactly that--cleans up damage from water, mold, fire, etc. and then restores the area. So, I hear many stories of what happens to people. You would be amazaed at some of the things that happen! I am glad you got it all taken care of, and more importantly, that you got a new washer and dryer. I have front loaders too and I love them!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...