Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What's on my radar this week...

Oprah has a "Favorite Things" list, and here's my list of things I'm loving lately.....


1. Since most of my favorite TV shows are MIA, I love "Ultimate Recipe Showdown" on the Food Network, Sunday nights at 9 PM.  I started watching because my friend Jenny Flake competed a few weeks ago with her Southwest Chicken Mac recipe. Unfortunately, she didn't win, but I've tasted her recipe and it's yummy!  Winners' recipes will be on the menu at TGI Friday's restaurants.  This leads to my #2....

2.  "The Iron Chef" Sunday nights at 10 PM. Hilariously self-important and wonderfully dramatic. If you haven't seen this show, 2 chefs compete to create 5 dishes from secret ingredient (last Sunday's was spinach) and are then judged. So fun!

3. "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini.  Just finished this book for Book Club this month...about a year after all the hype and learned a lot about the culture and politics of Afghanistan. It was tough to get through in parts (I put it down for 3 days and was scared to read more after one scene) but it has a great message about friendship, loyalty and family relationships. Can't wait to see the movie. After I finish reading Ashlyn's favorite book "Fablehaven," I think I'll read "A Thousand Splendid Suns." 

4. Gelato. Less fat & air than ice cream= more flavor. What's not to love? My kids ask to go to Gelato Freeze at least one a week (and I rejoice;-)

5. Talk radio. It's a Presidential election year, which makes for fun discussion. I love Glenn Beck's talk radio show because no one is safe from his criticism and he tells it like it is. It will be an interesting election.  I'm not sure I have a "horse left in the race."

6. Keane.  My very favorite group of all time! Lately I've rediscovered songs from "Under the Iron Sea" and listen on my Shuffle when I exercise. Try "Nothing in My Way," "Crystal Ball" and "A Bad Dream."

7.  "Enchanted" on DVD. Celebrates the fairy tale stereotype, while subtly poking fun at it. And they lived happily ever after.....

2 comments:

KELLY & AMY said...

Loving your "5" things. I have to tell you that Glenn Beck was our home teacher in Philadelphia and he is absolutely the nicest guy around. He's very different from his radio and TV persona. And I've been waffling on "Kite Runner" so I'm glad to have a favorable review. And I can't wait to be warm enough to want a gelato, let alone to live anywhere near a place that knows what gelato is!

Alli grins said...

Really? Glenn Beck was your home teacher? How fun! He can be very in-your-face and abrasive, but I've seen his softer side on occasion. Did he actually visit regularly? Have you read "The Kit Runner" or are you just considering it? It's definitely not your upbeat book with a typical happy ending, but I like books that shake me a bit, and this did. Stay warm...I've seen your snow pictures..brrrrrr!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...