
I can hardly believe it, but Dec. 7th was my 20th anniversary from when I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. I feel like I've come a long way in 20 years. My first blood meter was the size of a brick and it took 2 minutes to test. Mine now is integrated into my insulin pump, which I love, and it takes less than 5 seconds. I've worn a pump for 8 years. There are times when I am so sick of pricking my finger (which I do 7 times a day) and thinking about every little thing I eat, but I want to feel good. I've been watching this great technology called a continuous blood monitor, and this week I've been able to wear one as a clinical trial. It's called Dexcom and it checks my blood sugar 250-300 times a day and alarms when my sugar is too high or low. It's SO COOL! I can't wait until I can get one. Signing off...I need to go check my blood sugar!
Thursday, February 7, 2008
20 YEARS WITH DIABETES
Posted by Alli grins on 2/07/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Alli,
You are amazing! I remember that first meter and can't believe how far technology has come, too. You are so healthy, in spite of the last year, and have always been so upbeat about life and everything. You have dominated the diabetes instead of the other way around.
Happy birthday a few days ago!
Alli...
Wow 20 years, you'll have to let me know how the continuous meter works for you, and how the cost is.
Who would have thought a couple girls from diabetic camp would be sharing their pictures of their happy healthy families all these years later. I don't know about you but growing up I definitely had some doubts that it would be possible.
One positive thing about this disease is it gave me the opportunity to meet an awesome person who became a really great friend! The two of us (aka "Double Trouble") shared some great adventures.
Post a Comment