After 2 days sitting in the hospital, Claire's birthday is finally here. We all approached this day with very mixed feelings. I knew that this delivery would be very risky for me and that my doctors were prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. Dan had been sleeping in a chair by my side for 2 days and he seemed very nervous the day of the delivery. I've had 3 c-sections, but this one would be different. I'd have to have a vertical incision (my others had been horizontal) and I'd need a hysterectomy. I'm grateful that Dan & I are fine with this being our last child.
My parents, Dan and Dan's Dad were there before the surgery and they all seemed scared. I kept telling everyone "Cheer up! It's Claire's birthday," but I was nervous too. There was just so much at risk and I knew that. When the nurse wheeled me out to go down to pre-op, I told everyone "No crying" and tried to put on a brave face.
When I was wheeled into the OR, it was busy with activity. There were 3 OBs, an Oncologist, a Urologist, the Neonatologist and staff for the baby and so many nurses! The Urologist started by putting some stints (tubes) up to my kidneys so the OBs wouldn't cut anything accidentally. After he was done, Dan came in and sat by me and held my hand. Thanks goodness for Dan! Everyone in the OR was so kind and reassuring to us. Next came the fun part..... Claire! The c-section felt very different than my previous 3 and I'm not sure if that was due to the new incision or that I had an epidural rather than a spinal this time. It was much more comfortable when Claire made her arrival at 4:57 P.M. Dan & I were laughing that Gwen Stefani's "Sweet Escape" was playing in the OR when she was born because Ashlyn & Corey love that song! Dan snapped these amazing pictures of Claire's delivery. I loved her cry! Dan got up to be with her and came back a few minutes later with this beautiful bundle. She was so much bigger than I'd imagined! 7 lbs. 14 oz. and 20 inches long! I gave her a kiss on the head, then she was whisked away to the NICU for assessment. Dan also had to leave, and the surgery would continue for 5 hours longer.....






2 comments:
Alli, I'm so glad that you're okay. Claire is beautiful and it's great to see you posting again. Wow - you are amazing! Great job and welcome back.
-Amy
You are such a fighter! Found your blog from jenny flakes. I love fellow bloggers.
Post a Comment